We know that getting braces is an exciting time, but there is also a certain amount of uncertainty about what to expect. First, you should know that actually putting on the braces does not hurt one bit. In fact, we usually tell our patients to go enjoy lunch after we place the brackets because your teeth will not be sore until later that night. We also recommend that our patients return to work or school after getting braces! Sorry, kids :)
It's Dental Health Month!
Here's some interesting facts and tips, just for fun!!
- Sports-related injuries account for approximately 5 million missing teeth per year, so make sure you wear a mouth guard, if you or your little ones are athletes.
- Kids laugh around 400 times a day!
- It takes 43 muscles to frown, but only 17 to smile!
- The average person spends 38 days brushing their teeth during their lifetime.
- It is recommended that you brush 2 to 3 minutes twice a day.
Dr. Kelley, a board-certified orthodontist, and his excellent team provide orthodontic treatment for children and adults in Mt. Pleasant, SC. They offer a comprehensive range of treatments, including Invisalign, clear braces and traditional braces.
Mt Pleasant Orthodontist Celebrates National Orthodontic Health Month
We just love when October comes around. Not only are we getting excited about the cooler weather and Dr. Kelley's Birthday but we also get to celebrate National Orthodontic Health Month! During October, orthodontists all over the country work together to promote their services and inform the community about the important work we do.
National Orthodontic Health Month is an awareness campaign created cooperatively by orthodontists and other dental health professionals. During this month, we make a special effort to promote dental health and orthodontic health in particular.
Dr. Kelley's staff in Mt. Pleasant, SC want to share some of our favorite orthodontic tips and tricks with you!
- To prevent delays in treatment wear your rubber bands as instructed by your orthodontist. Remember, the less you wear them the longer you will have to wear them. This may prolong your treatment time.
- Soaking your retainers or clear aligners in peroxide for a few minutes once a week will keep them looking like new.
- Check out this electric toothbrush from Philips, we just love it!
The first appointment in our office is a time to get to know each other while assessing your child's orthodontic needs. At this complimentary evaluation, our new patient coordinator will take some photographs and a panorex (if your dentist does not have a current one), which I will review before the actual exam.
Next, the new patient coordinator and I will do a comprehensive exam and discuss any of your concerns. I then review each photograph and the panorex with you and your child, pointing out things that look good and things that need our attention.
If treatment is needed at that time, we will discuss various options and treatment time. The new patient coordinator will also present treatment fees, including your estimated insurance benefit.
Our goal is for you to leave the appointment feeling comfortable and understanding your child's needs, as well as any recommended treatment and the associated costs. You will also receive a detailed letter explaining our findings and recommendations.
Mt. Pleasant, SC